Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Rain

I close my eyes and hear the sound of the softly falling raindrops on the roof. I can feel the wind caressing my skin. Its chill makes my hair stand on end. After some time, I feel I am alone. I am in a field. Raindrops are falling on my head. I let myself get wet. I do not move. I continue standing and looking at the gray sky. Though it is raining, I feel happiness inside me.

Suddenly, I am on a road with someone. It seems we are going somewhere and we are running. We are laughing as we run. My clothes are soked just like the clothes of that someone I am with.

Then I remember the time when it was also raining and Jam, Andrew and I went to Hacienda Lonoy for archery practice. The memory is still fresh in my head because it happened only a few days ago. It was Tuesday afternoon, March 4. At first, we hesitated to go to our practice but, in the end, we went. We decided to go because we never thought the drizzle would turn into a downpour. But we were wrong. The rain became heavier when we were halfway to our destination. We ran as fast as we could. I felt annoyed at first, but we had a great laugh. Especially Jam. She was great company. We laughed and talked while we were running. We arrived there very drenched and we were shuddering. It is a moment I will always think about everytime it rains.

- written by Julie Ann Estardo, a 3rd year student-scholar

This is a piece Julie Ann wrote after I did an exercise with them in class. I asked them to close their eyes and imagine it is raining. The exercise is akin to what the Carmelite sister did during our day of recollection. I asked them to think of the feel of the raindrops on their skin. Or the smell of the air on a rainy day. Is there a person who comes to mind when it is raining outside? Any specific remembrances of events? I wanted them to do this to hone their ability to use their senses as well as develop their imagination. - Ms. Ging Graham

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well expressed and detailed. You can be a future aspiring non fiction writer

Anonymous said...

Nice shot, Julie ann, I mean not the arrow shot but the composition about the rain that made me relish my own childhood days in Bacolod (West Negros College). While it's always chilly here in San Francisco CA, it doesn't rain that much and I'm missing it. Your piece drenched my memories with fond thoughts about the wet days of yesteryears, and I'm now dying to walk in the rain someday in the soft, muddy soil of Negros. In our high school speech class we were required to utter this statement with as much intensity and emotion as possible: RAIN - MOISTURE CONDENSED AND THEN RELEASED FROM THE SKY. And right now I can smell not just the rain-soaked earth of Silay but also the promises of a blossoming writer. Read a lot and continue to strive mastering English as a second language. It's quite tough composing thoughts in a foreign language, but you showed the potential to do it.