Sunday, September 23, 2007

YES . . . It’s really worth it! 35 Years in Retrospect

Watching the SFAS’ “After 40 Years” video, I felt so emotional. It was a sentimental journey back in history . . . having started my elementary education with SFAS in 1972 and completed it in 1978. I was my Class valedictorian then.

I would like to highlight very familiar faces in that video . . . foremost, the late Inday Maret (Ledesma), Ms. Teresita Mallorca (our Grade II Teacher) and Mr. James Ledesma who vividly narrated “the making of SFAS”. Admittedly, transforming SFAS into an ever fortified institution in the service of farmer’s sons and daughters was a noble mission by the Ledesma’s. Hence, I give tribute to them, SFAS, my Teachers, Classmates and old Friends who became part of my entire person of today.

I grew up in Hda. Lonoy and spent my first 20 years in that farm. Born to ordinary farm workers, I dreamed that one day, I enjoy the simple comforts in life. Finishing my elementary education – 100% free at that - was my top priority. I made it! That paved the way for me to pursue further on – finishing highschool and college with the highest honors until I made it to the employment world. That dream became a reality!

I am a product of the Ledesma’s and SFAS’ investments on me. Every penny of that investment resulted in a good yield.

For now, I can only try to emulate the value that SFAS and its patron Saint, St. Francis of Assisi had instilled in me. I always strive that the Lord continue to mold me as an instrument of His peace. For me, that peace can be realized through the emancipation-out-of-poverty-cycle process in which finishing (quality) education is the key.

I am currently working with The Boeing Company based in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as an Executive Office Administrator. This November, I will pursue my MBA course with the Open University United Kingdom.

“Madamo gid nga salamat!”

A note to SFAS Students: “Poverty should not be a hindrance for success. It’s an inspiration!

- Rene Sellado, Class of 1978

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It reminded me of tattered uniform, as long as there was no absences. The plastic slippers and plastic bags that were used for carrying books. Free tuition, free books, pencils at times. Free communion dress and graduation dress. Some of us made it to, become somebody, some of US look back and felt that sense of gratitude and the feeling to give something in return. I am proud of my old school, I am proud of what I had learned not just the abc and 123 but the love of discovery and never ending curiousity, the love of adventure, which leads me to where I am, the good foundation of St. Francis of Assisi, to learn, grow and share God's given gift. "Who you are is God's gift to you, what you will become is your gift to God" Thank you!

wolfcry said...

Gid! Musta ka na Rene! I was just browsing the web till I came across your blog. Hope you'd be able to read this post. Post me your email where i can get in touch with you..

hope all is well

regards
bong