Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Winning Word: SOMNIFEROUS



When my lola approached me to join the contest of Brainsbee of Albee in District 3, I was a little bit shocked and nervous because I was thinking that I could not make it to the top, since this contest would be joined by all knowledgeable and selected students in our barangay. My family and friends pushed me to join the said contest so I filled up the application form. I asked Tita Des, an English teacher, to be my coach because we are just neighbors. She was very excited and we began immediately our exciting journey in studying the different words. We scheduled our lessons every night from Monday to Friday. If she could not meet me she just sends the words through her cell phone. I studied the words given to me religiously and I also did online spelling practices during my free time especially on Sundays. I won the contest in the barangay and town levels. I still continued in studying my dictionary and other related books and my online spelling practices. Then came April 15, 2009 the championship day of the contest by BBB foundation with a prize of P30, 000 pesos and a 4-year scholarship in any high school in Negros. I was more inspired to win to help my parents with my high school education. I always prayed to our Lord that He will guide and bless me to win the contest. I was very nervous during the division wide championship. I did not say it to my mother who accompanied me there and I just let her see that I am not nervous and I am confident that I will win the contest. I did not look at the crowd and I just focused on the quiz master and the way she uttered the words. There were three rounds with 10 words each: easy 2 points, average 3 points and difficult 5 points. I was worried only on the third round when my contender had 1 more point than my score. But I kept on praying hat God will enlighten me to write the correct spelling of the word SOMNIFEROUS. That word made me the CHAMPION of the Brainsbee of Albee in District 3. So I can say that read and read so you can lead and always pray to God and He will hear your prayers. – written by the champion himself, Ryan Jay Matulac

Ryan Matulac graduated Valedictorian in his class last April 1, 2009 in St. Francis of Assisi School of Silay City Foundation, Inc. He has been a champion as well in our spelling quiz bees held in school for several years.

No comments: