Wednesday, May 13, 2009

7th Youth For Environment Summer Camp


The Department of Environment and Natural Resources-Special Concerns Office Youth Desk, the Kabataang Sama-Samang Maglilingkod (KASAMA), Inc. and the Department of Education-Center for Students and Co-Curricular Affairs conducted the 7th Youth for Environment Summer (YES) Camp last April 26 - 30, 2009 at the Teachers Camp, Baguio City. The camp had the following objectives: (1) develop students' awareness on the state of the environment and (2) instill environmental values in every student to motivate actual involvement in programs and projects for the environment.

Activities during the YES Camp included interactive and fun plenary sessions, panel discussions, action planning, field exposures, outdoor activities and contests, such as poetree-writing and interpretation, on-the-spot poster-making, debate, story-telling, Sayaw at Awit sa Kalikasan, quiz bee, Search for the Lakambini and Lakan ng Kalikasan, exhibits and many more!

It was my first time to go to Baguio to attend an Environmental seminar. Over 5,000 high school and college students, Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) officials, and teachers participated. I learned a lot about our environment. We also went to SM Baguio, Mines View Garden and other tourist spots. In Manila, my tito (uncle) brought us in the historical places such as Rizal Park, Aguinaldo Shrine and many others. - by Mark Pollen ParreƱas, incoming 4th year student


April 25, 2009 was the day that I couldn’t wait because starting that day, we will become independent and travel without teacher or parent. In Baguio, I can’t forget the times we would fall in line to get our food from 1 – 3 hours! Unforgettable man para sa amon ni Kim ang pagpapicture upod sa dancers ni Sam Concepcion. Indi ko man malimtan ang paguwa ka smoke sa amon baba kung gab-i because of the cold weather. Tugnaw gid to!!! When we were in Manila, I can’t forget ang paglagaw namon sa Luneta, Aguinaldo Shrine, SM Mall of Asia kag sa Tagaytay. In those experiences, I learned to be more self- confident. – by Shera Mae Andrada, incoming 4th year student

I enjoyed a lot meeting persons that made the trip enjoyable and unforgettable. It is our “utang na loob” to him and his family that made our desires in going around Manila possible. We are so thankful for the chance they gave us. They sacrificed a lot for us and they showed us kindness and hospitality. We are thankful for the home they shared with us and for the free overnight gaming and internet surfing. Once again, thank you Tito Boy Dorimon and family!

Meeting her was unforgettable: her face, her smile, her humor and most of all, her voice. She is a person that has an amazing talent. We bowed our heads to her when she sang. We laughed out loud every time she did something funny. And meeting her gave me an idea on what kind of course I will choose for my college. (Thank you for that Ate!) Being with her in our room made us explore our minds in the field of music by hearing her voice in any type of genre. Ate Dyan Dioa, you are very important to us! We consider you already as our ate and we really believe in you and in your talent. We thank God for meeting you and for the things we learned from you! Hope to see you soon Ate!

I met so many people that made my experiences in Baguio unforgettable. Like kuya “John the great” or alias Joban who he sold us a ball pen for their fund raising. I also met two little girls who always smiled at us while they were playing in front of us. Then a man who carried an open umbrella inside the mall (he made us laugh). And the super “gwapo” waiter and boy scout! I also thank God for my companions in this trip because they were the ones who made me laugh and forget my problem just even for a while.

I may not have learned a lot from the seminar itself but I think it was part of God’s plan that I was able to encounter these kinds of people (from the new ones I’ve met to my companions in this trip). – by Aeriel Guadalupe, incoming 4th year student


It was my first time to ride an airplane and travel especially to Baguio, 6 hours bus ride! We joined the camp course - Theater & Arts and we learned about self-confidence and how one must interact with other people.

We had time to roam around Baguio in the cold climate. I was so happy that I met a lot of people. I had a picture taken with the dancers of Sam Concepcion. That was so cool and amazing! I also met Raymon Sajor, a singer. During the seminar, I also learned how we could take care of our environment especially the trees around us. It was a great experience in my life. - by Kimberly Salario, incoming 3rd year student

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aeriel wrote her's nicely...
I really,really agree with her...
Ate Dyan was one person I would never forget most...
and the Dorimon Family too...

Anonymous said...

May 24, 2009.
1st timre namin sa Baguio..
so cold tlga..
kmi ang pina ka unang dumating na Sk du.
at first nun dumating na kmi sa may busliner terminal ang baba ko.sobrang lamig.nanginmginig ako sa kalamig..!

Anonymous said...

sumali din kami jan... from Davao city...i don't want to take a bath coz the water was freezing...whoooshhh!

email me at...jesse_potter3@yahoo.com...or visit me on facebook....

Anonymous said...

kamiz naman ung tym nah un

Unknown said...

Nakakamiss yung Yes Camp 2009. We won the debating competition that year. Kalaban namin davao city nun eh. hehe